Garden Notes

08132017 007a

08132017 004a

The big tomatoes are finally starting to turn!    This particular one is probably in the sunniest location in the plot, so here’s hoping the rest follow suit soon.

The above was Saturday’s haul, looking a bit like a still life.

Garden Notes


I’ve decided to call zucchini Tardisfruit – there’s no other explanation for how they get so big so quickly.     The monstrosity above was waiting for me after I was gone for just three day.

The cherry tomatoes are starting to bear – there are a ton of buds, so the best days are still ahead, but I got enough for a lovely pasta dish on Friday.

The ground cherries above are cumulative.

Garden Notes

a08072017 002

Back when I first planted the community garden tomatoes, I swore I was going to keep on top of the suckers.   I did not.   On a whim, on Monday (when I was supposed to be doing a quick check before going away for a few days), I started going after suckers.   I’m pretty sure I removed half their weight in leaves.    You can definitely see the tomatoes better now.    And I woke myself up in the middle of a night with a back ache bad enough to require some Advil.   Oh well.

a08072017 008

The haul for that day was a poblano, some eggplant, a few cherry tomatoes, two more huge zucchini, and more ground cherries (above is the cumulative collection).

Garden Notes

a07212017 003

The community garden plot is definitely looking lush.   In addition to the crazy zucchini, a bunch of other produce is coming along.

a07232017 043

Here’s one of the fairy eggplants coming along.     It has huge flowers, bigger than the Asian variety that I’m also growing, which will have bigger fruit.   I can totally see why eggplant were originally brought back to the old world as ornamentals.    I’m going to have to plant them for better show next year.

a07232017 051

I’ve got heaps of green tomatoes started.

a07232017 056

This is the cayenne type pepper.    This plant isn’t as big as I’d like.

a07232017 058

The first poblano plant I got is bigger, but still probably not as big as I’d like, either.    But it does have little peppers going.     The peppers are probably my worst planning this year.   They’ve ended up shaded out by the tomatoes.    (The other two plants I put in are still very small, and I doubt will end up doing much.)    I definitely need to rethink how I space things next year.   I think I need to keep the tomatoes together, and put everything else in one place on the sunnier side of the plot.

a07212017 023

And finally, back at the side garden, the ground cherries are getting big.    They will actually start to drop when they’re ready to harvest – I’ve had a few go, I expect many more soon.

The Vegetable Attached to a Tardis, and other Harvest Notes

a07192017 015

And lo, the deluge of zucchini has begun.   This was the crop last Wednesday.     I got another one of about the same size on Friday morning – I’d made a point to stop because were were going away for the next two nights.     I left it with nothing of any size on the vine on Friday.

h07232017 066

Sunday evening, I arrived to this porker.   I don’t understand how they do it.    They have to be attached to a Tardis.  It’s the only way to explain the growth potential.   It rained yesterday and part of today, and I won’t be able to make it over there until tomorrow after work.    Frankly, I’m a little afraid.

h07212017 012

The kale over the community garden plot is also going crazy.     I had to cut this before we left, and my mother said to give her as much as I possibly wanted to, so the whole bag went over.

a07212017 013

The zinnias are really starting to ramp up, and the calendula is just going gangbusters.    It’s ultimately not the kind of calendula I really wanted around the kale (based on some other gardens I’d seen, and what my mother had given me before), but I think could happily mix this in with the zinnias until the seed is gone.

Garden Notes

a07162017 002

I added the second tier of tomato cages today – probably should have done that a couple of weeks ago.  I ended up tying several large stems to various places outside the cages to keep them corralled.     Definitely need to keep track of the timing better for next year.

a07162017 006

It’s a good thing the kale is doing well over at the community garden plot – something snacked on it over here, as well as the nasturtiums.     They’re both now coming back, but I’m just waiting for the culprit to come back, at this point.

a07162017 010

The ground cherries are looking great- I have little fruit all over the place.    I originally wasn’t sure if I’d be able to handle all five of the plants that ended up sprouting in the one pot, but they seem to be doing fine.

Garden Notes

A few pictures from the community garden over the week – I’ve got at least one small tomato, and the eggplant are blooming.    I did take home the larger zucchini in that picture – I knew I wasn’t going to be by for a few more days, and those have a habit of blowing up if left too long.