So I’m on vacation this week, but I’ll be posting pretty much nothing of any interest, because I managed to come down with a nasty head cold, and have spent most of the week on the couch, surgically attached to a kleenex box.
One of the last things I did before lethargy completely claimed me was clean up the front garden bed. I actually pulled the peas out two weekends ago, but only found the time to go get some mulch on Monday. Pre-mulch, there was more crab grass then you can shake a stick at, and it was hard to get all of it when the pea trellis was still there. Hopefully, I can keep out the worst of it for the rest of the season.
I’ve already decided for next year that I’m going to rip out the remaining hosta, and move the iris over to that spot. That’ll mean moving the peas (if I do them again) over in front of the clematis, but there’s definitely room to work with there, and getting the iris out will free up room for more things.
Speaking of the clematis, for the most part, it’s been very well behaved, and stuck to mounding the top of the trellis. I had one escapee try for the cable wires, but was easily able to remove it before it went too far.
I can now report that I have ripe tomatoes! Well, one of these (the Juliet paste tomatoes), and one of the cherry tomatoes. It’s a start at least.
I did give up on the pepper plant, and went ahead and pulled it out. It had barely grown at all, and while there was one pepper developing, I decided I’d rather cut my losses and just get rid of it. Once I get some energy back, and I’m going to plant that planter with arugula and maybe some cilantro.